Friday, September 29, 2017

November Hill pollinator gardens, 2, or, we went a little wild at the plant sale

I had a list taken from the North Carolina Botanical Garden's sales list and went for the members-only pre-sale. It was PACKED. There were 12 plants on my list and we got all but one, but of course we all three spied things we just had to have, so in the end we rolled two large garden carts to the check-out. It was sort of crazy and sort of exciting.

The first thing I went for was my new favorite plant: spotted horse mint, or monarda punctata.


It is so pretty and I haven't found it anywhere but on the listing for this annual sale. I located the sign and there were only two pots left! I grabbed them, found a staffer, and asked if there were more. They checked and said they were sorry but that was it.

I was sad but moved on to the gazillion other choices they had. Later, a few minutes before we finished perusing, I happened to walk by the table where the spotted horse-mint had been and there were, miraculously, three more! I snapped them up and added them to my cart. 

We came home with a Subaru and an Element full of plants. Guess what we'll be doing this weekend? 

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I've never heard of the horse mint plant. It is pretty. Happy planting!

billie said...

I hadn't either - Debi has it in the demo gardens and it is gorgeous, so I knew I wanted it. But it has been difficult to find locally until yesterday. I would have bought more if they'd had it!

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Be sure to snag some seed heads, or encourage it to drop its seed in your bed before it dies back so you'll have more next year. Horse mint grows wild all over our island - one of my favorite "weeds" lol.

billie said...

Thanks! All of these have seed heads so hopefully it will spread. How wonderful that it is all over the island - the bees just love it!