Friday, September 08, 2017

My little secret pleasure: the Breyer barn!

Even as I work on the daily chores and ongoing projects at the big barn, I have a little list that's easy and fun to check every few days. It's my daughter's Breyer barn that she got for Christmas one year and at some point abandoned for the Real Thing. 

This spring as I readied for my first-born to move away, I needed something, just a little thing, to do to occupy some little piece of my brain that was fretting the passage of time. One day I was gazing at the Breyer barn, bemoaning the days when the Breyer horses were cared for and the barn kept up. I don't know what triggered me to go online and look at accessories, but when I did, I discovered there is an entire world out there where Breyer horses compete in model horse shows and apparently other adult women have inspired an entire industry. 

Every few weeks I order a new barn accessory. A padded halter and lead line. Feed supplies. A salt block. Hay nets. A three-step mounting block. These things have all cost under ten dollars and picking the new one item every week or two, and waiting for it to arrive, makes me really happy. 

As you can see, though, even the Breyer barn chores get out of hand. I haven't had time to fill the hay nets yet!

Stay tuned for updates as I upfit this little barn. 



8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Ha! J. had almost the same barn and it's now residing in the basement along with boxes of packed Breyer horses. I believe she had well over a hundred of them collected over a lot of years. We don't know where to put them so they've been living in their boxes. Maybe I'll dig some out and display them. I know there are Breyer shows and some of the older horses are worth a lot of money but I don't think shed ever part with them. Thanks for the idea.

p.s. Did you get the response to the other post about the generator? I know I wrote it out but maybe I didn't hit Publish or it didn't go through.

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

The tiny hay bags and mini galvanized tub!!

billie said...

Arlene, I am having a blast with this barn! And yes, I got your other comment but didn't "approve" it just in case you were wanting to keep the info private. I am sometimes over the top with things like that! Thank you for the rec and the info - it helps to know what others do and I have already priced the generator.

billie said...

C, I know! I am smitten with these little items. :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm the same way with you about privacy,especially on the internet. I just thought maybe I was having a senior moment and forgot to hit publish.

billie said...

Plenty of those senior moments happening here, let me tell you! :)

Matthew said...

I always loved those small "spaces", whether the Breyer barn, Playmobile castle, Lego space stations or my model railroad.

Love that you are revitalizing the model barn again. :)

billie said...

It's being a lot of fun for me to work on!