Thursday, September 14, 2017

Adventures in DC, thanks to Amtrak and AirBnB

After returning from Ithaca in August, my daughter and I took a 4-day trip to DC before her fall semester classes started. It was a wonderful trip!

We decided to try Amtrak instead of driving or flying, and booked business class seats. The train left mid-morning from NC and arrived just after 5 p.m. at Union Station in DC. The business class car was quiet, adjacent to the dining car, and the seats were roomy with curtains and foot rests. The Amtrak staff were wonderful. I only had two issues: the WiFi was slow and the bathroom smelled strongly of the chemical used for flushing the toilet. It was super clean but that smell was intense. Still, the novelty of taking the train and getting time to read and work while traveling without the fuss of the airport was worth it.

At Union Station there were many red taxis waiting as well as Uber and Lyft rides, and I had opted not to rent a car while in DC. It cost about $12. to get to our destination from Union Station.

After researching hotels for days when planning the trip, we decided to go for AirBnB instead. I found a beautiful entire home for rent within walking distance to the National Zoo, which was our main destination, and the owner was gracious and helpful when I booked the place for our stay.

It was gorgeous.


The home was in northwest DC, a beautiful two-block walk to the zoo, and a two-block walk in the other direction to a fabulous little market where we were able to buy everything we needed to eat in while we were there. The house had a gourmet kitchen and was a treat in itself. Absolutely lovely space that felt like home. (If home has no cats, Corgis, or humans tromping in and out from the barn!)

Every room was beautiful but I dearly loved this kitchen:



We had no problem getting Lyft rides when we needed them. We ended up doing two days at the National Zoo and one day of Natural History Museum. And ended that day with dinner with a good friend.

Unlike the NC zoo, which is a huge hunk of land out in the middle of nowhere, with one entrance, the DC zoo is in the middle of a big city and has many entrances on all sides. We enjoyed the exhibits for the most part, though I felt the apes needed more space and felt they were depressed. I was blown away by what they call the "O-line," which is an actual tower and wires that the orangutans can use to travel from one habitat to another, right over the heads of the zoo visitors. We didn't get to see them do this, but even the idea was exciting.


I think my favorite sight was the tiger cooling himself in his moat.



The Natural History Museum was fun, especially since we took the entire day and just meandered around. We ate at Rosa Mexicano after, which was close by and very fun. The pomegranate margaritas were wonderful!

We will absolutely recreate this trip again, via Amtrak, at the same beautiful AirBnB home, with more visits to the National Zoo and some different museums and restaurants next time. It was terrific getting to spend some fun time with my daughter before she got busy with classes.

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

What a great trip! Honestly, I haven't taken a train since I was a kid and they weren't as luxurious as yours. J. is in Scotland right now and has booked a train ride from Edinburogh along the coastline to one of her destinations, it should be a pretty ride. The AirBnB looks amazing. I'm not a big fan of zoos, only because I don't like to see anything caged. Then again I guess that's one way to protect them from becoming extinct.

billie said...

Wow - J in Scotland - wish I had a trip planned there!!

I get it re: zoos. Admittedly we do a lot of critiquing and evaluating the habitats. Some things were good, others not. I have to admit after all the big game hunting going on I am wondering if the zoos with the best habitats are actually better homes these days, but I wish they could all live free and safe.

Did I ever post about the island for sale off the coast of Scotland? It had its own little post office!

Grey Horse Matters said...

The island sounds like her dream come true. Unfortunately, she still has to work for a living and probably wouldn't be able to afford it! She's on an 87 mile hike along Hadrians Wall and did 12 miles today. I'm sure I'd drop half way through.

billie said...

Wow re: J on an 87-mile hike!! I bet she is loving this.

Here's a link to the island sale page - I heard it sold this fall. I was thinking it would have been perfect for a few kindred spirits to go in together and create an intentional community. I think you'll enjoy the photos!

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/luxury/selfsufficient-scottish-island-for-sale-completely-off-the-grid-tanera-mor-comes-with-24hour-a105361.html