Friday, June 17, 2016

Butterfly Beach, Santa Barbara yesterday and Caltech today


I'll write more about the beach later but this was a nice shot from our time there yesterday evening in Santa Barbara.


Today we drove to Caltech in Pasadena. The campus looked deceptively plain on the edges but once you walk into the campus proper it gets very magestic and yet friendly and navigable. Definitely in my top three campuses with Berkeley and UC-Santa Cruz.

My big excitement of the day was getting to meet Sean Carroll after my son's meeting with him. I've been reading his books about physics for the past couple of years and just started his newest, The Big Picture, which I'm loving. He's a terrific writer and a nice person. 

Meanwhile, the heat is rising in this part of the state. It's 93 today, 97 tomorrow, 101 on Sunday, and a whopping 105 on Monday, which will make it very easy to get up at 5 a.m. and head to the airport to fly home to November Hill. (Husband tells me it will be 95 there by Tuesday, but the air will be clean and I will have horses to hose!!) Temps are a bit milder in LA where son will be so hopefully he will start his summer research with ease.

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Looks gorgeous! I love the pictures. Don't like the sound of those temps, stay cool!

billie said...

111 today - absolutely insane!!!

November Hill here I come! :)