Tuesday, May 20, 2008

twister!

For any local folks who visit here, just wanted to say we're all fine. Around 5 p.m. today I had the very strong sense that I needed to go get horses and donkey in. Daughter and I went out and called - they came in immediately from the back field. In the few minutes it took us to get everyone in and set up with hay, the sky went dark and the wind got so intense I knew something was going on. The horses, Rafer, daughter, and I watched through the back stall doors as it blew through. Lasted about 5 minutes. It took the tarp completely off the shavings pile, and it had been anchored with 4 heavy posts and 5 or so cement blocks. Very odd wind motion - hard one way for several minutes, and then the other way.

When we finally came inside I discovered a tornado had been reported right in our area.

We didn't get hail here but minutes away there was hail two inches deep, and the roads were covered in completely shredded leaves.

But... we're safe and Rafer Johnson is waiting for Hollywood to call and offer him the lead role in Twister: The Sequel. (he's been reading Sheaffer ... :)

6 comments:

Janet Roper said...

Glad y'all are OK!
Harmony,
Janet

billie said...

Thanks, Janet. The evening has been so eerie, although peaceful. Lots of mist/fog and mostly silent, although now the night creatures have started singing again.

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's good you were able to get the gang in before it twisted your way. Poor Rafer may have been clicking his hooves together three times saying there's no place like home, if you hadn't. I'm sure with that handsome face he can get any movie part he wants.
Happy to hear everyone's alright.

billie said...

LOL - I can just see Rafer Johnson in a re-make of The Wizard of Oz.

I have never seen the horses so intent on watching the wind blow. It was something.

Victoria Cummings said...

I'm so glad you're safe. I grew up in the Midwest with lots of tornados - very scary.

billie said...

Thanks, Victoria. We have tornados but not as frequently as in the midwest. They can be so devastatingly destructive. I'm glad this one didn't do damage locally.