This morning he was worse and seemed suddenly to be going downhill so my husband took him to the vet school hospital where he had to be immediately intubated and was quickly diagnosed with congestive heart failure.
He's only 8 years old and we have decided given his good health right up until this weekend to move forward with treatment. He's on a respirator, sedated, and getting medication to drain the fluid from his heart and lungs. Prognosis is that if he makes it through this part of the treatment he'll be able to come home on medication that will allow him another few good years. We hope for that and more.
Construction of our front porch cat haven started this morning and I am hoping he comes home just in time to help break it in.
We are grateful for all good thoughts.
Wednesday a.m. update:
His oxygen saturation is much better today on lower oxygen which is a very good sign. His red blood cell count has dropped but they think it's a measurement artifact and are retesting. They are removing several of his medications in preparation for the ventilation withdrawal at mid-day. Overall they are more than pleased with how things are progressing and are very hopeful.
Thank you all for helping surround him with love and light! It means so much to me and my entire family.
Wednesday p.m. update:
Mystic is breathing on his own now. The tube is still in as he hasn't woken up yet - sedation drugs still in his system. They will pull the tube out soon. His blood oxygen looks good. He has signs of infection probably due to stress on his system during this but are already treating with antibiotics. They expect him to wake up in the next hour or so.