Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Mystic needs your good thoughts

Since Friday Mystic kit-meow has been suddenly not feeling well, slightly off his food, then on Sunday night a weird coughing episode. Monday morning he seemed better but rapid breathing started up and I took him to the vet. Many tests later they felt it likely he had asthma and sent him home with Prednisone.

This morning he was worse and seemed suddenly to be going downhill so my husband took him to the vet school hospital where he had to be immediately intubated and was quickly diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

He's only 8 years old and we have decided given his good health right up until this weekend to move forward with treatment. He's on a respirator, sedated, and getting medication to drain the fluid from his heart and lungs. Prognosis is that if he makes it through this part of the treatment he'll be able to come home on medication that will allow him another few good years. We hope for that and more.

Construction of our front porch cat haven started this morning and I am hoping he comes home just in time to help break it in. 

We are grateful for all good thoughts.

Wednesday a.m. update:

His oxygen saturation is much better today on lower oxygen which is a very good sign. His red blood cell count has dropped but they think it's a measurement artifact and are retesting. They are removing several of his medications in preparation for the ventilation withdrawal at mid-day. Overall they are more than pleased with how things are progressing and are very hopeful. 

Thank you all for helping surround him with love and light! It means so much to me and my entire family. 

Wednesday p.m. update:

Mystic is breathing on his own now. The tube is still in as he hasn't woken up yet - sedation drugs still in his system. They will pull the tube out soon. His blood oxygen looks good. He has signs of infection probably due to stress on his system during this but are already treating with antibiotics. They expect him to wake up in the next hour or so. 


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear about his troubles. Will definitely include him in prayers (I pray for animals - and people too). Keeping fingers crossed as well.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Poor kitty. Sending you hugs and Mystic healing thoughts. I hope he's feeling better soon and will be able to use the cat haven. Sorry to hear this.

billie said...

Thank you, Arlene - we just got home from visiting him and although I burst into tears the moment I saw him they are very pleased with how he's doing and may be weaning him off the respirator tomorrow around noon. It was so hard to see him like that though.

I think sometimes how hard it is when one gets sick but then I compare the sick days to the months and years of joy they bring us and the scale is so tipped toward joy I quickly realize I cannot complain at all.

billie said...

Thank you, Kate - prayers, fingers, all welcome and so appreciated!!

Anonymous said...

I hope the treatment works and Mystic has more than a few good years left to enjoy life with you.

WendyFromNY said...

Awww, just passing thru, so sorry for Mystic, poor kitty is too young for such troubles. Praying for a miraculous recovery. He has a lot to live for. I hope you post pictures of the cat porch...especially with Mystic there!

Portia said...

So sorry to hear this. But Mystic is in good hands now. I'm glad you have the vet school there as a resource.

billie said...

Thank you, Portia! We are very grateful for their expertise and care. His doctor spent half an hour with us last night by his ICU bed and she was amazing. His nurse was totally focused on his care the entire time. It was impressive.

billie said...

Thanks so much, Wendy - I told him last night that when he comes home I'm going to have the porch ready and waiting. I'll definitely post pictures!

billie said...

Thank you, Anon - I so appreciate the kind thoughts!

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Glad to read this morning's report - hoping the trend continues! :D

billie said...

Adding a new update now!

Portia said...

Stopping by on Friday to check on Mystic. I hope everything is proceeding in the proper direction and that he is steadily improving.

billie said...

Thank you, Portia - I'm writing a new post now. So appreciate you coming back to check in!!!