Wednesday, April 27, 2016

birthdays and grazing muzzles


Keil Bay is now 27 years old and the pony, aka Little Man, aka Apache Moon and Patch Pony, is 16.

It is so hard for me to believe either of them are this many years old! Keil and I had a birthday ride on Monday and so enjoyed the time together. He remains the dream horse in my life. 

The pony seems to be mellowing a little since Salina died - or since he hit the mid-teen years - not sure which - but he's gotten a tiny bit less spunky and seems to enjoy my attention more than he used to. The big surprise to me is that he and Rafer Johnson have become best buddies since Salina passed away. Last night during the Little Man's hoof trim Rafer came and stood as close as he could get. It was very sweet.

Speaking of Rafer Johnson, this little donkey (ahem) is possibly the biggest he has ever been this spring. He has had to start wearing the grazing muzzle and I am having to reinstitute the closing of pasture gates during the daytime hours. We will finally secure the dirt paddock fence line that is shared with the back field and arena so that the donkeys can't climb through. 

This also means I won't have to race donkeys to the mounting block while riding Keil Bay - they come in and knock the mounting block down so I can't dismount. (Though I probably need the practice dismounting to the ground anyway!)

We've been celebrating these two birthdays all week long. I wish I had taken birthday portraits but the older ones will have to suffice for now:




2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Happy Birthday! He is one of the most beautiful horses I've ever seen. Love his eye. Some of ours are getting grazing muzzles too. Sami is very round and Blue could use some down time from constant eating too! Rafter is very cute with his buddy.

billie said...

Arlene, tell me about what grazing muzzles you like best!