Saturday, October 10, 2009

when the husband's away...

the cats go to sleep:



Even the cowboy comes in and sacks out on the bed:



Lots of interesting things happen when my husband goes on photography adventures. So far, since he left:

- the shavings man, who was supposed to come Tuesday, then Thursday, before husband left town and could thus help with getting stalls rebedded, came Friday morning. Bright and early. Just not quite early enough to get here before husband set forth.

- one muck rake broke. This always happens when husband is not here. So my kids have a built-in excuse for not getting out there and helping with the monumental amount of horse manure that accumulates in a day. There is only one rake! (alas, this ended well because when I went to the feed store to buy a new one, they had my favorite color. Purple.)

- my muck-barrow tire went flat. Unfortunately, there is no Triple A for wheelbarrows, that I know of.

- a big fat wood roach came in just after dark fell and climbed to the highest, most visible spot in our living room. My dear son spotlighted him with a red laser, and his efforts to deal with the creature came to a predictable end: the wood roach flew through the air, got caught up in the current from the ceiling fan, and has not been seen again. Two scenarios: he's lying in wait under the sofa. OR. He's made his way into my bedroom.

There's more, but you get the drift. Thankfully he will be back tomorrow night and things will get back to normal around here!

6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Love the pictures of the kitties. Position in life is everything! As for everything else, of course any disaster large or small only happens when there is no one around to help.

Hope your wood roach decided to go back outside and is NOT lying in wait for you under the covers.

Michelle said...

I got a huge giggle out of this, Billie! I think all of us have been in this situation a time or two! Why, exactly, is there no AAA for wheelbarrows? In my experience, I've needed it more for that than anything else!

Just convince yourself that the cowboy made short work of the roach and all is well in the world. Let me know how that works for you!

billie said...

Arlene, she puts herself in the most precarious, and yet perfectly balanced positions.

We're managing - thankfully two teenagers can make a big dent in a chore list when they put their minds to it. :)

billie said...

I know, Michelle - and I like your option wrt the wood roach.

Dickens has been in more than usual this weekend, and right now is stationed once again on my bed. If you're right, we're safe... :)

Matthew said...

Well this time the wheelbarrow actually needed a tow to the local gas station!

We have an air pump for assorted and sundry tires that like to go flat over time, however it does not blow FAST ENOUGH to reseal a tire to the rim. But fortunately there is a more robust and powerful free air pump at a nearby gas station, and now the wheelbarrow is back in action. . .

billie said...

LOL - I didn't even know that when I first posted this.

Thanks for bringing us mountain apples, fudge, and kettle corn!

We're glad you're back.