Monday, March 16, 2009

salt

Isabel Zuber's novel Salt was published in 2002, and has been on my list of books to read ever since. When I was on my writing retreat earlier this year, one of my fellow retreaters was a poet who is in Isabel Zuber's writing group, and when she learned of the kind of writing I'm doing, she suggested I put Salt at the top of my list.

I bought it last week and let it sit on my bedside table for a few days, to savor the idea of starting it.

Last night I did, and could hardly set it down. It's beautifully written, with a poetic use of language and description, and an engaging story that pulls the reader in quick.

As if a good book isn't enough, there is a touch of synchronicity: the book travels from chapter to chapter back and forth in time, using places and years as chapter titles. And it takes place in the NC mountains, so as I read last night I came upon passages taking place in the same places my current editing is taking me.

I had no idea!

What a treat. I recommend this book, particularly if you've enjoyed reading Charles Frazier, Lee Smith, Silas House, and Dot Jackson, all authors I admire.

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sounds like a book I will put on my reading list. Although I am so far behind, I almost never get a chance to read anymore. I did enjoy the book you recommended by Lee Smith (Agate Hill) and finished that quite a while ago. I also enjoy Charles Frazier, but haven't read the other two authors you mentioned.

billie said...

Arlene, if you enjoyed Agate Hill, you will like this one, I feel sure.

And also Dot Jackson's Refuge.

Well, heck, Silas House, too. :)

They're all different in style but in the same "family" in a sense.

jme said...

i'm also adding it to my list - i previewed it on amazon and got hooked on the first few pages. it's been all non-fiction for me lately, so this would be a treat :-) thanks for the recommendation!

billie said...

I'm really enjoying it - hope you do as well!