Wednesday, March 12, 2008

a comforting sight



This was waiting for me when I went out to the barn this morning, and I want to say thank you to everyone who sent good energy our way.

Since the drought hit and folks started talking about hay shortages, it is even more comforting to get in a nice load of hay and see it stacked there, ready to feed to the horses.

When the local hay talk neared panic proportions last fall, I dreamed one night that there was no hay to be found. The entirety of the dream was me leading our horses miles and miles down power cuts, allowing them to graze and forage what they could each day.

Each time we replenished our hay supply this season I have given thanks. And each time it rains, I do the same thing.

8 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

I always feel better when I can see the hay is in the barn too. I'm glad your set for a while. Here we have to get a pickup load a week.

billie said...

You must go through a lot of hay with all your horses!

Victoria Cummings said...

The hayman cometh! I had hay delivered on Monday. It does make you sleep better at night, doesn't it?

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad it arrived safe and sound. There is nothing that makes me feel better than to have a full load of hay stacked and ready to feed. It must be how the people who lived through the depression felt when they finally saw food filling their pantries.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful light here that expresses your joy at seeing healthy, nutritious hay for our equine companions.

billie said...

Absolutely, Victoria. I never imagined getting a load of hay would be such a highlight for me.

billie said...

Arlene, that's a good analogy. It definitely felt like the cupboard was getting bare!

billie said...

Matthew, it was one of those golden mornings in early spring. You could almost hear the bees buzzing - except they aren't yet. I wonder where the carpenter bees are this year?