Thursday, January 10, 2008

hot stone massage

I had one today, and it was wonderful. I've had some lower back discomfort for the last three weeks or so that disappears completely when I ride but bothers me most of the time otherwise.

Harriet did some work on the lower back and found one side significantly tighter than the other. When she worked on the psoas muscle on the left, I felt it in back on the right. After the massage, the "hinge" of discomfort in my lower back had disappeared. Upon sitting, I felt a small "dot" of discomfort in the lower right back. On the drive home that expanded to a small "circle" of discomfort that has now disappeared.

I've scheduled a return visit for next week so I can get this resolved.

The stones were amazing - they warmed and grounded and absorbed.

Insurance companies should pay for bodywork - I totally believe we'd all be healthier and happier if we could get this kind of work done frequently. It shouldn't be a treat - it should be part of our overall health care.

2 comments:

Jason Evans said...

Billie: When I went to the Doc a few months ago, he prescribed me medication & suggested rest & massage. Of course I can't get massage done through my healthcare provider, but it isn't a secret that it works. I know that professional athletes get it done, so I guess if your body is "valuable" enough, then it will be taken care of. I imagine if healthcare started covering massage therapy, then there would be a bunch of abuse ?? Gotta be a happy medium somewhere.

billie said...

I'm sure the insurance companies say there would be abuse. Frankly, I don't see how there could be any more than there already is - every time I've ever been to the hospital there have been numerous charges for procedures not done, medications not administered, and supplies that were never used.

My own billing for psychotherapy services is a drop in the bucket compared to what the insurance companies pay if a client doesn't get therapy and ends up in the psychiatric hospital for even one week. I could see a client weekly for several years for that same cost. Of course, sometimes people DO need a psychiatric admission, but many times they end up there when in crisis b/c the insurance companies make it so difficult to get regular outpatient services.

I wonder how many back surgeries get done and billed to insurance companies at exorbitant cost when ongoing, regular massage work would have been just as, if not more, beneficial?

I know there are some plans now that will cover some alternative therapies such as massage - but the paperwork and the compensation is often prohibitive.

Anyway, rant over. I agree with you - there has to be a happy medium and one that actually is cost-efficient for the insurance company.

I hope you're feeling some relief with your issue - one thing I've realized is that people with chronic back pain deserve all the treatment they can get. It's truly unpleasant, and mine has been minor.