Friday, October 22, 2021

What’s Coming Up In The Garden, 80: sassafras

 Today I’ve put in a couple of sassafras trees in an open area of Poplar Folly. Since they’re not as large as tulip poplars, oaks, and maples, they’re a good fit for the space and will create a sub-story layer on the sloping ground.

They’re good for wildlife, insects, and are larval hosts for several butterfly species, and they have interesting leaves and fall color. Win-win-win-win, right? And of course they’re NC natives.

Sassafras is what is used to flavor root beer, so gosh, maybe I’ll try that some year when I’m bored and have nothing else to do. (Small joke)

MORE ON SASSAFRAS

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sassafras is good for tea too I've heard though I've never had it. My husband's uncle used to make his own root beer and it was pretty tasty so you should give it a try. And if all else fails its fun to say SASSAFRAS!

billie said...

I need to research the tea, and how cool that your husband’s uncle made his own root beer! Wow! I agree that saying sassafras is pure delight. A high school friend got a palomino filly when we were in 10th grade and named her Miss Fancy Sassafras (I think I’m getting it right) and it was a super name imo. :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good name for a horse. I probably would have went with Sassy Sassafras!

billie said...

Lots of possibilities with that name… :)