Thursday, October 09, 2008

costume prep



Matthew mentioned the rich texture of life on November Hill, and the above is one of the things that makes my days richer.

My daughter gets a lot of "air time" on here because she does so much horsey stuff with me, but my son (also a horseman, but on hiatus for the past year) does so many things that add to the creative pot in our home. He has an eye for detail and the skill to make things with his hands. I often wonder if he might end up doing prop and costume and set design for some award-winning TV shows and films.

I walked past the dining room table this morning and had to smile. He is preparing to be a WWII soldier, and this is one piece of his costume - the supply kit. He found the bag at an army surplus store, and the rest of the materials he bought and is using to make up the packets you see here.

He also found the cross for his sister's costume (one of them - she has two going at the moment) - Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Last week he made her a wooden stake, and she used her allowance to buy a black leather jacket at the local vintage clothing shop.

It is going to be a really fun Halloween!

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

And I thought you were creative. It truly runs in the family, eh?

:)

~Lisa

billie said...

Sometime I should take a picture of the curtain "rods" in my house. When we first moved in, I wanted to hang simple rustic rods on two end pieces. One day my son came in with a variety of "rods" he had found in our forest and sanded smooth, all in perfect lengths for the windows. I LOVE them. That they came from our property, that he made them, that they turned out so nice.

It was one of those times when I realized that while I never would have thought of it, the end result looks like exactly the kind of thing I would do, if that makes any sense at all. :)