Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Stand-off: calico versus blue merle (and a November Hill weather bulletin)

Last night Baloo had his chewie and dearly wanted to curl up in his big dog bed with it and relax. I had watched a few moments before as the resident calico staked it out and then climbed in. Pixie is the most petite of our cats and she is also the fiercest when she needs to be. Baloo came to this house full of felines as a puppy and he learned quickly who the bosses are around here.

He's very much full of confidence and perhaps a little more than he needs right now but even he wasn't willing to try to shove Pixie out of her very large nest.

This is as close as he got:


Pixie was initially upright and in defensive mode but once she insured he respected her boundary she rolled over, exposed her belly, and rubbed it in his face that he had been effectively kicked out of his own bed!

And, a November Hill weather alert: it is 8:55 a.m. and 32 degrees outside! What the heck!

Yesterday was so lovely I opened the arena gate and let the pony in. He showed off his walk, trot, and canter in both directions at liberty, looks fabulous, and was a joy to play with.

A few minutes later I let Keil Bay in and oh, my. He was a galloping, bucking wild man! After a few entire arena gallops he settled down and did some of his lovely trotting and then came and insisted on his peppermint. 

The donkeys and Cody did some walking and trotting too but although they definitely wanted to come into the arena, they were not that into me telling them what to do. I deferred. What I really wanted was to see them all move and check for any issues. And to enjoy the day, which we did. 

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Love that Keil Bay was enjoying himself so much in the arena! And the pony too of course. Seems a little cold for your area at this time of year. It was that cold here and I turned the heat on.

That picture of Baloo and Pixie is hysterical. Guess he knows the rules and the boundaries she set up! He’s too cute.

billie said...

I can't believe how high he threw his entire rear end into the air. My goodness. And when I say gallop I do mean that dig the hooves in and go. It was so wild for the first few minutes I crawled through the arena fence lest he didn't see me standing there! Rafer and Redford were initially in there when I let him in and they did a few orbits and left the premises. LOL.