Wednesday, June 09, 2010

the magic behind the morning

I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning.
 - J. B. Priestley

My friend Sue's kaleidoscope of the day post this morning offered the above quote, and not only do I love it, I think it sums up my approach upon waking every morning.

Today's magic included several friendly encounters with the young black snake living in my feed room. He (or she) is very respectful of my work space,  staying near the walls along the floor. After I said hello, he left for a few moments but then came back, peeking out (literally) at me from behind the oat bin, and then coming around behind my work table to peep out from that angle.

This morning's magic also included Dickens E. Wickens lying sprawled, legs all akimbo, upside down, in a pile of hay in the grass paddock. Salina and the donkeys are used to having a tuxedo cat mixed in with their hay, and the donkeys will sometimes nuzzle Dickens' very white belly.

There were more squash, more zucchini, more cucumbers, a few beans, and new sunflowers blooming in the garden. Last night we had yellow squash and zucchini tempura. Delicious!

The tomatoes are coming in, still small and green, but we should have a nice crop soon. The basil is getting bigger - can't wait for the tomato/basil/garlic/olive oil/salt/pepper/brie pasta that is so easy yet so good it almost seems too good to be true. It's only good with vine-ripened tomatoes that have never seen the inside of a truck or refrigerator.

The watermelon vines are thriving and the pepper plants are now blooming.

Although I still have squash borer moth eggs, we are getting so many squash I can hardly complain. It might be that when the squash decline I just need to clear them out and plant anew. I'd rather do that than use chemicals!

I started a new compost pile yesterday, in a very bare spot in the bottom of the front field. I'm excited to watch the compost mature, and I'm thinking by late summer I can spread the black gold out and transform that area into more fertile ground.

6 comments:

Valentino said...

Soon there will be BLT's!!! With fakin bacon here... Morningside Farms brand is very smoky and crisp... and has been known to fool non vegetarians :)

billie said...

BLT's - a summer favorite! I also like plain tomato sandwiches. Also... English muffins with a thin slice of tomato on top, toasted with a little parmesan sprinkled on.

Grey Horse Matters said...

It all sounds wonderful except of course for the snake. If there were one in my feed room I could guarantee that the horses wouldn't be fed that morning or until someone got rid of the snake. Your garden sounds like it's thriving with delicious meals to follow. Tomatoes are a personal favorite, there are just too many good ways to eat them to list now.

ponymaid said...

Billie, it all sounds wonderful but I just can't get past your having actual watermelon growing in the garden. Watermelon! I do enjoy a slice on a hot day but ours must travel far in a motorized vehicle to reach us. We four equines line up at the fence when Herself is doling out and there is a terrible amount of slobbering and drooling from the other three. We consume everything including the green casing, which humans discard for some reason. Ahhhh watermelon.

billie said...

Arlene, if it were a big fat spider I might have to call in the troops... :)

billie said...

Sheaffer, my history with watermelon goes way back to when I was a little girl who decided to grow a watermelon.

I took a seed from one we had eaten and planted it, and everyone cautioned me that it would not grow, so I shouldn't get my hopes up. I tended it and it sprouted, and then everyone said, well, you did a great job but don't expect an actual watermelon!

I kept tending it and lo and behold, it bloomed and formed a melon. I checked that melon many times a day for pests and eventually it did grow large enough to be harvested. I pondered when to pick it, and finally did. It was delicious!

These watermelons are small round ones that actually come in sherbet colors - yellow, orange, and pink. If they make it to eating stage, I'll slice one of each color and have a watermelon equine party in your honor!

Our crew will eat it, but they are a bit snorty about it - perhaps I can carve some tulip poplar bark and serve alongside, as they have completely debarked one of our huge tulip poplars which is now DEAD and has to be taken down!! I suppose I could hire them out as a lumber clearing crew.