Friday, May 25, 2007

why writing groups?

Because after just one meeting (yesterday) in which I didn't even read, I have already tackled the new opening to the second novel, rewritten the blurb, and gotten some key things straight in my head.

Because this particular writing group has been there for a very long time and will be there for as long as I'm likely to need it. It has roots. (and in returning to it after a two-year hiatus, my roots are still there)

Because just this one question, "Billie, can you read next week?" has catapulted me into major writing action.

Because these writers and their feedback are stunningly good.

All hail Laurel's Thursday morning group and my summer sojourn there. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very cool to hear that the writing group is having that much of a positive effect on your work so quickly, just from the effect of belonging to a community of common focus.

I find that my landscape photography groups inspire me in similar ways.

billie said...

Creative communities are great when the people are both talented and constructive in their criticism.

I've heard of very negative experiences with writing groups but fortunately for me, mine have been good.

Joni said...

Awesome! That is really cool. I'm glad you got to go back.

billie said...

Thanks, Joni. And now, a week later, I have been again and read the first 25 pages of my second novel.

Wonderful, thoughtful, incredibly useful feedback.