Sunday, April 03, 2022

November Hill farm journal, 149

 Whew - March was a stressful month for me, after my mom’s fall, resulting in femur surgery, hospitalization, and rehab. She went home on March 30th and is doing quite well with a lot of home and home heath care support in my brother’s home. We’re very fortunate that he’s there to oversee all the daily things and that he’s both willing to do it and does such a great job at it. She is so happy to be back in her own space and her routine.

The morning after we got my mom settled in, I woke up with the worst norovirus of my life. 18+ hours in bed, only getting up for the many sudden treks to the bathroom. I’m finally over the hump of that today, still not 100% but slowly getting back to normal. 

Meanwhile the farm is turning green, dogwoods are in full bloom, garden beds are gradually being cleared of winter foliage as the new growth emerges. We’ve got pollen and busy bees and playful equines. 

I’m happy to report that prior to the stomach upheaval, I had started both Little Man and Cody back into ground work. Little Man is prepping for some pony boy time, and Cody perhaps going back to some riding. Little Man took in it stride, pun intended, and Cody seemed a bit shocked and not all that excited about the work, but my daughter stepped in and coaxed him into it, and it’s gone well. 

Keil offered to do some ground work too, which was very sweet and much rejoiced. 

These three got chiro this weekend and are off work until mid-week, so hopefully by the time I’m feeling totally normal again they’ll be clear to continue.

As I’m typing I’m seeing a number of swallowtails flying outside the window. It’s a great day out there and maybe I’ll make it outside today. 

6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good to hear your mom is happy and doing well. Sorry to hear about your virus. That's awful. Hope you're doing better now and have gotten to enjoy some outdoor time. Sounds like the three boys are getting back into work a little bit, although I know Keil isn't going to work, he might think it's fun just to be included. Have fun with them.

billie said...

Thank you. Much better today and I think being able to eat more solid food is helping with energy level. We opened the grass paddock yesterday for the first time so the herd could have an hour of really nice grass. Today they lined up at the appointed time and were salivating for today’s hour, LOL. Hope you’re all good up there!

Kathleen said...

So happy to hear your mom is recovering well, but sorry you've been so sick.
Hope you're feeling better. Spring is coming!
Have a great week.
Kathleen

billie said...

Thanks, Kathleen! I hope you’re well. My sister-in-law told me she had been in touch with you and that you have retired. Email me and come over for lunch one day when you have some time. I’d love to see you.

Kathleen said...

I'd love to see you too! I'll send you an email.
Hope you have a beautiful Easter.

billie said...

Great! Will look for it. :)