Monday, June 08, 2020

Bloom update: Stokes’ aster, hoary skullcap, Queen Anne’s lace, and a bumblebee

I took a walk with the dogs today and grabbed a few quick photos along the way. If I focus my phone on a plant, they come running to see what I’m aiming at, so I have to be quick when they’re with me!

We have a lone volunteer Queen Anne’s lace plant on the side strip along the driveway. It’s over four feet tall and I got this close up of the flower but then the male dogs came and lifted their legs on it, so I moved on without getting the quite beautiful leaves below. I’ve grown up seeing these flowers along roadsides and it’s nice to have one right here at home.



The hoary skullcap I planted is just starting to bloom and oh, how lovely it is. It will be wonderful when these spread a bit and create a larger patch of color.


More Stokes’ aster (Peachie’s Pick) in the garden. This plant has flowers that are opening much wider and flatter than the others are doing, and as always, it’s interesting to see how in the same patch of ground things just grow differently. The beauty of a garden! If I were a bee I think I would snuggle into the soft center of this one for a nap.


And down at the other grouping of asters, I captured a bee going from one to the other. The sun drops, the butterfly weed, and these asters are all abuzz with activity today, as are the coneflowers.


In other news, something is eating the original shade bed plant leaves (except for the ginger) and also ate the leaves off the baby dogwood tree. Bunnies? The turtle? I don’t know. I may have to put a little fencing around that bed if it keeps going. 

3 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

All very pretty and the bee is cute and very busy. We have a lot of those fuzzy ones around. J. rescued one from the dog's water bowl in the tack room and then went to take it outside and it stung her. Just trying to help but I guess the bee wasn't too happy with being "helped!"

billie said...

Oh, dear. :/ I’m sorry she got stung! We’ve had a crazy day with wildlife - I went out to give afternoon hay and the resident black snake was lying completely stretched out under the shelter with Little Man and Rafer. When I went back out at 6, the snake was up in the roof sticking its head out of a hole that used to have an electric wire feeding out of it. I thought it was something the swallows had dragged in for nest building and then it started waving around in the air and I realized it was the snake. Headed on to the back field to wash out the water trough - a raven was face down, drowned in it. Shocking. We’ve had two squirrels drown in 15 years - not a common occurrence here. This raven just made me so sad.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Ravens and crows are so smart. I love watching them around here. It is sad he died. I’m actually afraid of snakes so I wouldn’t be as nonchalant as you are with them I’d be screaming and running!