Thursday, June 11, 2020

Bloom update: swamp milkweed, narrow leaf mountain mint, hoary skullcap, coneflower, rattlesnake master

There are a number of new things blooming, things that got started that are now going strong, and some new things getting ready to pop out. There are many native bees in the garden this year, but I’m not seeing my honeybees yet! When I sit with the honeybee girls in Arcadia, they are taking off in the opposite direction of our house, so they’re foraging elsewhere right now. It will be interesting to see if they find the pollinator beds up the hill from them, right next to our house. 

A few photos from today’s garden walk. More coneflowers. Today I saw the first hummingbird of the season feeding on them. I wasn’t outside so couldn’t get a photo but hopefully I can manage one soon.


This is a close up of the narrow leaf mountain mint flowers. They are tiny but so beautiful.


A bumblebee has found the hoary skullcap!


I’m correcting this - I misidentified it initially. This is swamp milkweed. It’s lovely!


I’m having a moment about what these are... tick seed? Swamp sunflower? I have to dig in to figure it out, again. Whatever they are, they’re about to be lush and happy in this section of the garden.



The rattlesnake masters are so close! 


I didn’t get photos but the buttonbush are also prepping to flower. 

Another thing I didn’t get photos of are the weeds. It’s past time for me to get out there with my hoe and cart and get to work. 

Also, Blogger has gone to a new format and I can’t figure out how to make the photos larger. I sure hope they didn’t take that ability away, but I’ll sort it out soon.

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Everything looks very pretty. I'm sure your honeybees will find what they need wherever they go. I haven't had a problem with blogger yet and I hope I don't!

billie said...

There was a button on my blogger dashboard that said “try new blogger” - I avoided it for awhile but then saw that they would be migrating all blogs to it I think this month - so I went ahead and took the plunge. It’s nice - I like everything but can’t find the way to change the sizing of the photos on the blog post itself. Just when I have things down, they go and change them. :)