Thursday, May 16, 2019

November Hill farm journal, 75

It’s been a lovely week here. We had just the right amount of rain last weekend to give everything a good drink but not so much that we had a river running through the front stream bed. On Tuesday a cold front moved in, bringing our temps for the past three days to highs just at 70 degrees and lows around 48 degrees. I feel this is just about perfect weather for humans and animals alike. Of course, it is ending tomorrow and by Saturday we’re looking at a high of 91 degrees. I’m not thrilled but it’s the weather. We just have to roll with what comes.

The garden beds are looking wonderful. I have to remember to pinch back some of the plants that will grow too tall before they do, but for now everything is growing, blooming, and standing beautifully in the garden.




In other news, Keil Bay was losing weight and I freaked completely out about it and have boosted his feed tubs plus added a mid-day meal. He defies the norm where senior horses can drop weight in winter; he always looks fabulous in the winter months but for the past two summers we have had an issue with him needing more calories. He has already put weight on in the week since I increased his feed, and as anyone who knows Keil can imagine, he is adoring the fact that he gets that mid-day feed tub served to him in the cool quiet of the barn with his fans going.

It’s tricky having one horse that needs more calories and the rest needing less than they get, but we’ll manage. I’ve finally scheduled the interior fencing along the dirt paddock to be replaced, which means the plastic strand fencing that has been there all these years (and proved totally useless in corralling donkeys) will be taken down and away. We’ll have three-board fencing to match our exterior fencing, sans the woven wire, and the front and back pasture gates will be closer to the barn so the horses and the humans don’t have to travel all the way to the end of the dirt paddock (near the difficult neighbors’ house) to move through. I’ll end up with a small enclosed garden space at that end which will serve a double purpose: more garden space, and screening for the property line on that side. I’m very happy we’re making this improvement.

I have mowed all the buttercups this week, harrowed the arena, and thanks to my farm help, all the weedeating and mowing needed elsewhere is totally under control. I also pulled poison ivy out of my pollinator beds and am glad that chore is behind me.

This weekend I have some power washing to do and getting ready for the bees, who are coming June 1. More on that soon!

A certain golden girl can jump on the sofa now and it’s a favorite sleeping spot. What a sweetie she is!


7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

The garden beds look great. The new fencing sounds good too. It should keep certain equines ,who shall remain nameless, in. It’s always worrisome when they lose weight when they’re not supposed to but I’m sure he’s loving his midday snack! Clementine couldn’t look more comfortable and at home if she tried. What a cutie!

I’ve been dragging the riding arenas and I’ve got to get the power washer out for some serious fence washing. Then there’s the weeds and some new plantings. It never ends! And speaking of bees while J. Was in Ireland for the last two weeks her bees came early. So guess who had to assemble the new hive and introduce the bees to their new home. I looked ridiculous in her bee suit but I got it done. Not without a few choice words though.🐝🐝🐝🐝

billie said...

A, I suspect Keil Bay is having some early PPID issues. He was on the border last fall but looked so good we decided to wait to treat. I am starting his homeopathic regime now and if his numbers aren’t normal by fall will go on and start Prascend.

I am blown away that you suited up and installed J’s bees - and so excited that she is beekeeping! I am nervous about it but have bee suit ready and will hope for the best. These nucs I’m getting are reportedly very sweet bees. Everyone I know who has them says this and I sure hope it’s true! :)



Grey Horse Matters said...

Well I wasn’t too crazy about doing it but I didn’t get stung so that’s a plus. There are a lot of videos online that show you how to get them into the hive. It’s not that hard. It’s just a lot of bees. She’s got two hives now. So double the bees. Plus I had to feed them, pull the cork out of the candy end for the Queens all while these bees were landing on me and buzzing around. They didn’t seem like they wanted to sting. J.actually got a lot of jars of honey last year but it’s kind of a pain to process it. This year she bought a different hive that you can supposedly tap the honey and drip it right into the jar. We’ll see how that goes. Good luck and stay calm🐝🐝

Grey Horse Matters said...

Just in case you want to check out the new hive she got it company is Flow Drive bee hives. Although I’m sure you already have yours ready to go.

billie said...

Oh, I’ve read about the Flow Hives - will look forward to hearing how J likes them. I am SO impressed that you stepped in for her and installed that package of bees! Wow! I am actually getting 2 nucs - which will be far easier to move than a package is! But I’m going to keep the image of you doing it and that will help me be brave. I think you might need the award for Mother Of The Year. :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

I don't know about mother of the year but she did bring me back beautiful earrings and a necklace handmade in Ireland for a Mother's Day present. She's thoughtful that way. Good luck! With the suit it's not actually that bad when you know you can't get stung.

billie said...

Oh, I bet the earrings and necklace are gorgeous! I have to remember about the suit. So many beekeepers talk about “you’re going to get stung” but I know many of them don’t suit up and/or are rough with the bees. One beekeeper told me if I was a good horse person I’d be a good bee person. Sounds like she might be on to something. :)