Friday, September 24, 2010

end of the week musings

It feels like this week has flown by. Having the Proust group on Monday evenings kicks things off a little faster for some reason. So far it's a good group, with good discussion and very nice to be reading Proust again, but especially rolling into my favorite season.

We're having a few days of summer again, and yesterday horses got baths. I'm not sure where the weather is going after this week (it's mid-90s today and tomorrow and then 70s for the next 5 days, with some much-needed rain in the forecast) but it occurred to me this could be the last bath of the season. They are all shedding summer coats right now, and Cody and the pony are already growing in winter fur. The donkeys started several weeks ago.

I have Keil Bay on a 3-day on, 2-day off riding schedule, which I've noted in the past seems to work well for him. In our last ride of the 3 days on, we worked mostly at a walk, but did some more difficult work, and he did really well, again. We seem to be getting more finely tuned with the bitless bridle and I've noticed that he is licking and chewing at times even without the bit in his mouth - I was interested to see what he did in his power trot without a bit the day before that. He moved much the same, but I think there is a freedom in his shoulders that is likely due to lack of tension in the head/poll and also probably has something to do with the Thinline pad we're now using.

Keil and I were working diligently at the walk and were quickly joined by Cody and the pony. Cody opened the gate to the arena and in they came. For a few minutes it was me on Keil followed by Cody and Apache Moon. I had to actively discourage them from joining in with us, as it was distracting Keil Bay and I really wanted to get some focused riding in. I find it interesting and wonderful that although it was turn-out time, the gate to the front field was wide open, and both had been ridden earlier, they still wanted to come into the arena.

The day before, daughter rode the pony in the back field and they were joined by two very energetic donkeys.

For a moment it was like a window into a different time: a pony and his girl, trekking along the forest's edge with two trusted and spirited companions.

Funny aside:  People get to this blog a number of ways, mostly via links from other places and by googling horse information, but since I wrote the post about my dream about the Keebler Elf, many numbers of folks are arriving here by googling Keebler Elf. I don't know why this tickles me so much, but it does. I can't imagine what they think when they arrive at my crazy dream post, but many of them go on to read other pages on the blog, so I guess they aren't too put off. It makes me wonder, though - are folks around the world suddenly dreaming about the Keebler Elf???  

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite seasons. Maisie got a bath, too, yesterday, and was almost too furry to bath - it took a while to wash her and for her to dry.

forever in blue jeans, Beth said...

it's magic - elves and children of all ages just seem to magically find each other - makes me happy :)

billie said...

Kate, I'm kind of excited about the "last big bath" of summer. :)

billie said...

Beth, love it! I giggle every time I see someone coming via the Keebler Elf.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Dusty got her last bath of the season too. But since the weather has changed again and it's so hot she may need another one soon. We're trying to do one really good bath a day though just in case we do get some cool weather.

Your ride sounds very nice even with your uninvited guests. I'm sure it was a magical picture watching your daughter and pony ride through the fields.

Keebler Elves must be very popular if so many people google them. I have always liked their cookies, but not enough to google and elf.Funny how people find our blogs though.

billie said...

We have one more warm day and then it gets much more fall-like around here! I'm noticing lots of fur on the pony and Cody, and lots of acorns on the oak trees... wonder if this means another cold winter? I don't think Cody or the pony usually get this much of a winter coat in September.

Máire said...

I find it hard to imagine warm weather right now! I love how you had companions in your arena and the image of your daughter and her donkeys. If I dared, I know Rosie would follow Ben and I when we ride out. Their very natural instincts are to stay together, and it is great when you can allow this. We humans are always insisting that one lone horse has to leave his herd.

Dougie Donk said...

OK, I'm now off to look up the Keebler Elf! I suspect this is another phenoomen that has bypassed Scotland :))

billie said...

Maire, I have known of an older horse who was allowed to accompany his human and horse herd on trail rides. He needed no tack but simply went on the trailer with them and then on the trails, where he "ponied" himself alongside for the entire ride.

It's so interesting to me how they decide to stay or go when one is being ridden. Keil Bay will often go graze alone but I think that's because he is used to the horses actively seeking to be with him and he knows at some point they will come.

billie said...

I guess I should have explained who the Keebler Elf is - a cartoon character that was part of a cookie ad campaign. The elves made the cookies. I grew up with Keebler brand cookies, and so have seen the Elf image on the package and on TV many times over the course of my life. But I never had an real association to this elf! But seeing how many people are googling him, and after having my dream, I am wondering if he has some archetypal appeal I haven't previously considered!