Sunday, August 31, 2008

we need your healing energy

I'm typing fast here, but this morning between 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Rafer Johnson broke his leg. :/ Fortunately it is just beneath the hock and not in the long bones. Best guess is that he was running/playing and hit a soft spot or depression in the ground and torqued the leg right at the hock joint.

He is okay - the leg is stable and bandaged in a huge cast-like thing with two supports layered in to keep it straight, and radiographs are going to the vet school to see if surgery can help the outcome. There is a bone chip and a ragged area clearly visible - we are hoping for the best, and hoping surgery won't be needed b/c of the stress involved with that.

Meanwhile, recs per vet is keep leg wrapped with support, keep him contained in a 12x12 or less area for FOUR MONTHS. We'll re-do the radiographs in one month to monitor healing and decide if alternative support is better - i.e. perhaps a bi-valve (I think this was what he called it) cast, etc.

I would so appreciate any good energy anyone can send. He's such a brave boy and so good - but this is going to be tough. Four months is a long time.

9 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Oh my God Billie, I'm so sorry to hear about Rafer. I am sending you all the healing energy and good thoughts I have. I do hope he will be okay and not need surgery and can heal on his own. Four months is not a long time for him to be confined, and he can do it with no problem. Mellon who had an injury to his leg was confined for almost a year and he is fine as of last week he was turned back out to the big paddock.I'm sure he will be fine, what a freak accident, keep us updated on his condition. Good Luck.

the7msn said...

OMG, Billie. We are sending every good wish and prayer we can muster for our dear little Rafer Johnson. Four months is a long time, but Rafer will be able to handle it, and you will be able to handle it, and by the new year, all will be back to normal. Hang in there.

jme said...

oh billie i'm so sorry. poor man. i'm glad it wasn't something catastrophic and the vet thinks he'll recover. you have all of my positive thoughts and healing energies coming his way (my reiki is a bit rusty, but i'll give it a try :-) please keep us posted on his progress and give him a big hug for me. hang in there and good luck!

billie said...

Thanks Arlene, Linda, and jme!

We have spent the afternoon setting up stalls to best accommodate he and Salina being close. I'll write more about that tomorrow. I'm exhausted!

Mamie said...

Sweet Rafer Johnson. I'm going to send calming vibes your way. Four months is a long time to be confined to one's room - especially for a young 'un. Take care of yourself too, Billie.

Victoria Cummings said...

Oh Billie, how awful - I'm so sorry - Poor little Rafer! I'm sending you guys all my prayers and good energy for his safe recovery - Silk was confined once for six months when she twisted her leg - it was difficult, but she healed really well. You're so tuned in to alternative therapies - I'm sure that you'll find something to help him -Big hugs to all of you!

billie said...

Thank you Mamie and Victoria. I had my massage today after the pony and that has really helped with the tension I'm carrying. Rafer Johnson had lots of company in the barn today, too, so while he still wants to get out, he was not lonely.

AnnL said...

Oh, my goodness, I am just reading this now and am so sorry to hear about this. I know how stressful this must be for you. Remember you need to take care of yourself so you can take care of Rafer. I'm sending healing light to both of you.

Ann

billie said...

Thank you Ann - my little self-care thing today was to take a solo trip to the feed stores and tack shop and I bought myself a new pair of muck boots. :)

I just went and visited your blog and love Jeeves!