Sunday, September 22, 2024

November Hill farm journal, 222

 Happy fall equinox! I am always in highest spirits when this day rolls around again, but this year it’s almost a life changing event to move into this new and my favorite season. Even if the temps are going to mid-80s, even if I have a hundred things to get done on the farm right now, it’s a turning and I’m happy. 

This week I saw a double rainbow that held a lot of meaning for me too, and I’m grateful for that as well. 


I was already stopped to turn so I had the perfect chance to photograph it. 

On the farm: the deciduous trees are starting to look like they’re considering dropping some leaves. The lush green of summer is fading a bit and the dogwoods are already turning colors. The fall flowers (asters, goldenrod, NY ironweed, mistflower) are blooming, and we have a huge crop of maypops along the front porch this year. 

Apache is one more month healthy, the herd is happy, and the cats and dogs are doing well. 

I have returned to an older writing project after a creative brainstorm at Weymouth and will be doing a final edit of a trilogy that I’ve now condensed into one longer novel. This one has a TV pilot episode all but finished and I’d like to move these out as I move into fall. 

I have a couple of short pieces out on submission and that feels good too.

There’s a breeze blowing over the farm, I’m washing the next-to-last horse blanket today, and other than that my only plan is to relax. 

Welcome, autumn! 

No comments: