Monday, October 03, 2022

November Hill farm journal, 167

 We made it safely through Ian with many power blinks but no outage, I’d say thousands of tiny leafy branches on the ground, 5 inches of rain, and Echo bee hive tipped over. Thanks to my husband, who went down to check the apiary late in the night and was able to get them upright and put back together again. 

The rain was steady and our rainwater run-off solutions worked well. And the farm got a deep watering that it needed. I’m so sorry for the areas that were devastated, and heartened by the eco-conscious neighborhood called Babcock Ranch in Florida, completely run by solar panels and designed to manage flooding from hurricanes like Ian. Ian went pretty much right over Babcock Ranch, and no one living there lost power, water, or internet. Imagine if Desantis spent all the money he’s wasted on funding smart infrastructure and neighborhoods like Babcock Ranch (who is the completed vision of one man, a former NFL player). That’s all I’ll say about that, but the possibilities are exciting under the right leadership.

My biggest focus right now is that we’re in October! Yesterday I changed Clementine’s fun dog tag to her Halloween one, once things dry out tomorrow I’ll change the gate wreaths to the autumn ones, and I was inspired over the weekend to do some needed cleaning inside the house, which I hope is the beginning of a month of high energy, as I’m going to need it. This week is fairly quiet, but next week Clem has her three-month abdominal ultrasound, the next week is the upstairs bathroom renovation stage 1, and the final week is my mom’s 90th birthday and my writer-in-residence week at Weymouth. 

Today we’re still cloudy, the trees are still green, except for the dogwoods, who are beginning their shift to deeper color, and everything is very quiet and still. I’m happy to be sitting here with coffee and sleeping dogs for a bit to enjoy this time. 

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

So glad to hear that you guys got through Ian without any problems. We never lost power more than a few minutes at a time and also had thousands of small branches down. I hope Echo bee hive is okay after being tipped over.
Our very dead shortleaf pine finally came down during the storm. It's been dead for years, but the woodpeckers and other wildlife have enjoyed it for a very long time. There is about 8-10'still standing, so the creatures have more work to do and bugs to find.
Enjoy your busy October! Happy birthday to your mom! 90!!!!

billie said...

Kathleen, I’m so glad you had minimal damage and no significant power outage. How wonderful that you let the wildlife enjoy the shortleaf pine. We have a dying oak near the arena that we had cut back some because of deadfall on the arena fencing, but left the lower and very damaged trunk that has what I think is the perfect home for an owl, though none have taken us up on the offer yet. The tree has almost no trunk left near its base, but this past spring it leafed out as if it were renewing its efforts to live. I’m ready for some sunshine but it is playing hide and seek yesterday and today, peeking out only a few times for a few minutes.

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my mom. I think she’ll be excited to turn 90. :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sorry to comment so late. Glad you made it through Ian with minimal damage. Sounds like you've been busy but this is the time of year when our energy seems to ramp up. The cooler weather and the beautiful colors help to get things done.

Wish your mom a very Happy Birthday!