Tuesday, March 17, 2020

What’s Coming Up In The Garden, 5: pitcher plant

The year I planted the first pollinator bed here on November Hill, my daughter talked me into buying several pitcher plants. I was skeptical they would grow in our clay soil, but we planted them and they have done well. It’s always a treat to see them in the garden.


What you see here are the flowers coming up among the winter remnants from last year. I’ll have to take more photos as the season progresses. The marker says they are yellow pitcher plants but I believe these may be a different variety. They’re NC natives though, and do attract pollinators.

More info:
Yellow pitcher plant

Description

Sarracenia flava, the yellow pitcherplant, is a carnivorous plant in the family Sarraceniaceae. Like all the Sarraceniaceae, it is native to the New World. Its range extends from southern Alabama, through Florida and Georgia, to the coastal plains of southern Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. Wikipedia

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Should be pretty when they open up. Never heard of them but I guess I wouldn’t have since they’re a southern plant.

billie said...

They’re very pretty, though also very unusual! I enjoy them all year round, as even the winter remnants keep a little color. I’ll post when they’re in full glory so you can see.