Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Serendipity

A couple of months ago I was clearing the irises out of a garden bed to make room for pollinator plants, and unceremonious dumped the lot of them over the fence, thinking maybe the moles and voles would enjoy them.

There are daffodils in that same bed, and I’d decided to let them be, but wasn’t very careful in what I dug and what I left behind.

I planted two possumhaws in that space and called it a day.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I finally sat down at my desk in the garret after a full week of busyness here with no writing time folded in.

I glanced out the garret window from my seat and spied this:


It’s not a great photo, but if you look in the wood’s edge back there you’ll see what I saw in much more light and clarity: the daffodils I’d inadvertently tossed with the irises are in full bloom.

What a nice surprise! This view from my desk is not the best, what with the propane tank and Bob front and center, but now I have this little bit of serendipity to look at in the springtime. We’ll see if the irises make an appearance later in the year.

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's a little brightness in the landscape to appreciate. ;)

billie said...

I had to laugh - the day after I enjoyed the spot of brightness out my window, our deer neighbors cruised by and ate all the blooms off! :)