Sunday, December 11, 2016

Crazy week, supermom, good heart

This past week was nuts. My dear daughter had 4 final exams in a 3-day period which included the day my mom went in for her scheduled heart valve replacement surgery. We had cold weather and rain so horse care was on the intensive end of the scale. I had clients and a writing deadline and, being humans, we had to eat too. 

Wednesday went great for my mom. The valve replacement was successfully done without cracking her chest, she came out of it feeling great, and the hospital has good coffee (at least until 3 p.m.) and good food. 

Thursday I posted this on Facebook:

Superman: able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Supermom: able to dash across campus to buy a replacement calculator from the student store while calculus exam time clock is ticking without pausing to even consider buying a peppermint mocha from Starbuck's on a cold wintery day.

Later in the day my mom's team of doctors decided she needed a super-duper smart pacemaker to address a very specific issue she has and that was scheduled for Friday morning. That, too, went well, and exams were over for my daughter, and yay, it was the weekend. Then dear husband headed out of state to visit family and wheeeeee, colder air blew in and chores got a bit harder and my mom is still in the hospital and animals need feeding. I ate dinner last night at 11 p.m. I was too wired to sleep until close to 2 a.m. so the morning feeding time here came very quickly this very cold morning! I'm now finally feeling like I can sit down and just breathe. 

Fortunately husband returns today, my mom is probably being discharged, and the temps look to be warming enough that breaking ice off water troughs and blanketing/unblanketing won't be necessary. It's good to know that I can go from 0 to 80 and maintain it for a brief period and that even when going 80, the key is still to do one thing at a time and remain flexible when needed. And the Starbuck's drive-through right by the hospital is a Very Good Thing. 


Grey Horse Matters said...

Sounds very busy but you made it through! Glad your mom is doing so well. Try to take a rest sometime this week.

billie said...

Found out she is going home tomorrow! So if we can get through this week as she gets her strength back I think she'll be very glad this whole thing is behind her. The hardest part right now is that she can't move her left arm more than a little for 6 weeks so the leads to the pacemaker can get situated in the healing tissue.

Definitely want a day with NOTHING in it but puttering and "leisurely" doing chores. :)