Thursday, October 27, 2011

mare magic, part 3

This morning I wrote that Salina had gone up to the barn. When I got out there I realized she had done it b/c the abscess has burst - so no need to stand outside my window where I can see her!

It is draining - but my guess is that the inner "seal" that formed when it healed over 3 weeks ago has not yet cleared. I tried to get her to take a walk in the arena as that always helps loosen things up and get the gunk to clear out once it's open, but she's not quite ready for that yet. I washed with warm water and have put some epsom salt poultice on top with a very light gauze wrap to keep flies away and see if we can draw out the gunk. Need the remedy NOW - but will do an Animalintex wrap later today and see if we can move this along now that it's open.

She feels better but is determined not to walk too much yet. She knows best.


8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

She is a very exceptional mare and has a lot of wisdom. She'll know when she can walk it out. Hope Salina heals quickly.

Love Animalintex and don't know how we ever got along without it for all these years. It's basically a miracle cure for everything.

Anonymous said...

Glad things are improving . . .

Máire said...

She's getting there, that's great. A wise soul.

billie said...

Husband told me he took her for a walk this morning so that is probably what helped it burst - and probably why she did not want to walk again this afternoon... but it's bursting forth and I found the remedy semi-locally so we are moving forward into the next phase, thankfully.

ponymaid said...

bille - thank heavens. I'm sure the poor horse is exhausted from battling the evil in her foot. Like Jack, all those years of experience in the world help her to deal with the indignities of old age.

billie said...

She has completely regained her Hanoverian love of the feed tub, so I know we are moving in the right direction!

jme said...

what a relief - for both of you! it's great to work on such wise horses who let you know what they need and who you can trust to do what is best. glad she is over the worst of it.

billie said...

Thanks j, and all. It is fairly hideous to look at right now, but it is definitely progressing. I wish there were a way to fast forward through this for her, but she takes it well and with this afternoon's rain, she had all the boys in the barn with her, so lots of company.