Monday, February 13, 2023

November Hill farm journal, 175

 Lots going on right now, but this is what caught my eye this week. The daffodils are starting to bloom! I am a firm believer in native plantings but these daffodils were here when we moved in and I have let them stay in this section because they add a cheerful note during this time when the farm looks its messiest. Gradually I’ve moved the bulbs from the front pollinator bed up here, and one aggravated day I tossed some over the fence into the adjacent forest. As some of you might recall, those managed to live and now offer me a bit of color in late winter as I work at my desk in the garret. 



We had just about dried out from the last soaking rains but on Saturday evening the herd was out grazing their hay as long as possible before the 24 hours plus of more rain started. We shifted from 70s to 40s and on went their rain sheets and all their hay was served in the barn during the re-soaking of the farm. This morning it’s wet ground but blue skies and sunshine, so we begin the drying out process yet again! 



It’s hard to look at this winter pasture and imagine it will be as green as - well - as green as grass in another month or so. 

In other news, my daughter has been accepted to the PhD program she most wanted to get into, and she will be working in a research group she truly wanted to join. I’m so proud of her. And have I said that we are expecting our second grandchild in August? I feel very rich in love right now. Many blessings. 

Last week, a large gang of elk ascended the path to the bald and there was a young calf with them. It’s a mystery, as elk calves in our area are generally born in late May/early June, so this one is special and early, and I am so very grateful we got to see them. 

By the next time I post, maybe I will have planted the potager! That’s on my list. :)

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Congratulations to your daughter! I’m happy for her that things worked out as she wanted. And congratulations on another grandchild, how exciting!

We haven’t had much rain lately and the weather has been very unusual for us for this time of year.mostly warmer temperatures during the day and cooler at night. I’ll take it over snow any day. Hope you dry out soon. Love the daffodils,they always look like happy flowers to me. My daylillies are starting to push their way up through the dirt. Again unusual for February up here.

billie said...

Thank you! I’m glad you’re getting a break from snow this year. Daylilies! Yay!

Matthew said...

Already seeing the maples and pears blooming around the lake :)

billie said...

Wow!!