Tuesday, July 20, 2021

November Hill farm journal, 134

 It’s been a busy couple of weeks here. My husband and daughter went on a photography trip to California two weeks ago and I was here for 6 days trying hard to keep up with the regular routine. In years past I could do it without too much trouble, but whoa, it is harder now than it used to be! However, the menagerie and I did pretty well, though when I got word from my husband that their plane was delayed coming home I thought, OH NO, I can’t do this an extra day. But they got home safe and sound and all was well.

Until my daughter came down with a nasty cold/flu bug a day later. We’re all fully vaccinated and we are still masking up more than the recommendations call for, but she got a Covid test out of an extra layer of precaution. It was negative. Two days later I came down with the bug and I got a Covid test which was also negative. Then we were all three sick and yuck, that’s been life this week. Sore throats, fevers for some of us, coughing, coughing, congestion. We’re all on the other side of the worst of it now but I feel like I’ve done nothing but rest and nap and stay up late because I napped too much during the days.

Today I didn’t take a nap at all but I’m still awake at nearly 1 a.m. It’s going to take a few more days to get back to my normal routine.

I was supposed to be on a writing retreat this week, in a small private cottage where I could relax, write, and let my work take over every waking moment. Alas, I’m not there, and writing has taken up no waking moments at all this week, but that’s okay. It will take a few days to get back to that routine too.

We’ve had sunshine and rain and hot weather and cooler weather. The insect and frog songs at night are so loud I can hear them with all doors and windows closed. We have lots of green stuff growing and some of it’s getting out of control, but that too is going to take some time to catch up. 

Meanwhile, this:





2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sorry to hear you were all sick but it’s good you’re recovering. I know it’s hard to take care of the menagerie by yourself. I’ve had to do it more than once for our guys for weeks at a time and couldn’t wait until J. Got back from vacations. We’ve had the same weather with a little smoke thrown in from the fires out west. Love the pups relaxing, they have a tough life!

billie said...

Oh, gosh, I hope the smoke isn’t too bad! I read yesterday that it’s east of us, which doesn’t make sense given it was coming from out west, but maybe the air flow went in a different pattern and bypassed where we are.

Isn’t it the truth about the tough life of these hounds? LOL.

Here’s to a mild end of summer and some autumn temps soon!