Sunday, July 15, 2018

Garage area update!

The sun went behind a cloud just as I was taking the photo, and it’s slightly blurry on top of that, but here’s the nearly final result of the garage area update:



The grassy area up near the garage doors will be filled in with gravel. I’m leaving a strip of grass on either side from the retaining walls back. Note the new light fixture, the latest from Barn Light Electric! It matches the door hardware perfectly. As is the front porch fixture, this is wonderful quality and I am so happy with it.

The arbor above the garage doors is the next phase. I’m not sure if that will go up this fall or early next spring. I am reconsidering growing the existing rose over the arbor and thinking of taking the roses out of these beds and rehoming them to a more naturalized area along the fence going up the lane where they can trail along the fence and not require so much pruning to keep them tidy. If we do that, I will likely plant the native coral honeysuckle on either side of the garage doors and see if they grow enough to eventually meet over the garage entry door.

For now, I’m focusing on getting the gravel finished and adding some compost and another layer of mulch to these pollinator beds.

As I’m looking the photo right now as I type, I just imagined a November Hill plaque there by the entry door. We’ll see.

I’m happy to have things shaping up!

8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

It looks great! Nice job. I’d go for the honeysuckle if it’s less work than the roses. Either will look pretty. And definitely get a sign by the door.

billie said...

A, thanks for your encouragement to get the sign. :)

I do think the honeysuckle will be less work. The roses are gorgeous but at this point in the season the leaves are spotted, they seem to attract Japanese beetles, and I almost never see pollinators around the roses. I think the honeysuckle will be easier to maintain, I love the deep coral color, and I know it will feed the bees. I have some time to think about it.

The coral honeysuckle blooms nearly all year, too, in our area.

How are things up north? I know you were having work done - hope it is complete and life is back to normal.

Betty Lynne said...

So glad you love your new Barn Light Electric fixture! It looks beautiful by the door!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Well, they’re stil painting the indoor and after that the barn and then my little house next door. So I’m on the to do list. I painted the small bedroom upstairs last week but the whole inside needs a paint job. The last owner lived there for 7 yrs. and never lifted a finger to fix anything or make improvements. So far we’ve put in a generator,new electrical everything, new windows and screen doors. So it’s moving along but slowly. Since it was built in 1750 it’s basically a house of horrors to update but it does have charm, wide board floors and exposed beams and a nice yard...mostly. On the plus side I did get a ride on Rosie this weekend after I dragged the arena. So that’s the latest update from here😉

Matthew said...

Beautiful stuff you've done with this whole part of the house :)

billie said...

Thanks, Betty Lynne! It’s so much nicer than the old one and I am excited to replace the inside the garage lights next with Barn Light Electric fixtures. )

billie said...

A, wow - I feel like a 1750 house is both a treasure and possibly a huge ongoing to do list to maintain. I love wide floor boards and exposed beams!!! Glad you got in a ride on the beautiful Miss Rosie as a reward for all the work. Thanks for the update!!

billie said...

Matthew, I am good at supervising other people doing the work! :)