Friday, May 19, 2017

Big milestone, a proud mom, and a note on homeschooling




From the UNCA website:

Cromer graduated first in scholarship as the university’s 2017 Manly E. Wright Award winner and is headed next to Cornell University where he has earned a full scholarship. He will pursue a doctorate in theoretical astronomy, having had the goal to be a research scientist since arriving at UNC Asheville. “I had in mind becoming a research scientist so that I could spend my time studying a subject I love,” said Cromer speaking to his fellow graduates. “But at UNC Asheville, through all the people around me and the experiences I’ve had, I learned that this isn’t all I want to do. I want to have a meaningful social impact on the world.”

My note:

We homeschooled both our children their entire lives, and by homeschooling, I mean we provided resources, spent time exploring the world, and gave them the freedom to explore their interests and develop passions. My mantra was First Do No Harm; children have a natural curiosity and love of discovery and learning that begins at birth and gradually develops. Having worked as a research assistant in child development studies, and later with many children who were not successful in school when I was a psychotherapist in the public sector, I developed my own theories about what might keep this love of learning intact. Again, it was mostly choosing NOT TO DO THINGS TO THWART IT. 

I am so very proud of my son for all his hard work and achievement as an undergraduate. And I'm glad I trusted my own instincts and did not cave in when it was hinted at and sometimes bluntly stated that I was "ruining" my children by homeschooling them. I didn't do a perfect job and there were times I failed miserably, but I managed to avoid the very deep pit of making learning dull. 



8 comments:

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

What a brilliant way to celebrate Mother's Day!
Congratulations billie :D

billie said...

Thank you! My mom traveled with us to the commencement ceremony and that was wonderful too. And we found a farm sitter - someone we have known for a long time, whose mom actually taught both my kids how to ride, and who has years of equine vet tech experience. It was pretty spectacular to be able to leave the November Hill crew in such capable, caring hands. :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Wow! You should be proud of your sons accomplishments. He couldn't have done it without your and your husbands excellent tutoring and great philosophy on learning. Congratulations! It was great you all got to be there at his graduation.

P.S. if you decide to visit us when you're at Cornell,we'd love to see you.

Matthew said...

Such an amazing accomplishment! What I liked most about his speech was the discussion about the need to balance academic excellence with excellence in how we treat one another as human beings.

billie said...

It was a very good speech. :)

billie said...

A, he found his apartment on Thursday and we'll be sorting out when the big move will take place. I will be in touch!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Great!

billie said...

:)