Tuesday, September 13, 2016

UC-Santa Barbara's gorgeous art installation: Lament by Nancy Gifford

I spent a little time in UC-Santa Barbara's library during my visit with my son and while there were many things to like, this truly took my breath away when I spotted it. I spent quite a bit of time perusing the piece and wish I could have photographed every square inch. As a reader, a writer, and someone who spent years working in various university libraries and independent book stores, It's one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen.


This is the long view:


A few steps in:


Even closer:


The details were exquisitely fine:


A favorite panel:


So loved this one:


And my final photo, which says it all:


If this installation were for sale and I could afford it, it would be hanging on my upstairs wall as I type this. Oh, it was divine. Kudos to the artist, Nancy Gifford.

OH, and look what I found!!

Making of Lament by Nancy Gifford from Nancy Gifford on Vimeo.

6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Very nice! I love the blue and white piece of artwork.

billie said...

I love that blue and white piece too - would love that on its own on a wall somewhere.

Matthew said...

Extraordinary!

Love this collage / montage work of art.

Thanks for bringing it to my eyes through your blog.

billie said...

It was such a treat to see this in person. I love the video too.

Nancy Gifford said...

Wow just ran into this on a google search... glad you loved it It now has a permanent home at the Main Library in Santa Barbara, CA LAMENT is very happy there. So happy you loved it... means the world to me. Nancy Gifford

billie said...

Nancy, what a pleasure and a joy to see your comment yesterday! I’m glad to know your beautiful piece has a permanent home and in a library. So perfect. It really had a huge impact on me when I spotted it and I so clearly remember exploring it from every angle and then moving in close. It was both visually stunning and interactive due to its size and all the detailed smaller pieces of the whole.

I think I will revive this post with the updated location so people passing through Santa Barbara can make a trek to see it in person. It’s worth the time and I’ll certainly visit it again when I’m next in that area!

All the very best to you!