Thursday, November 14, 2013

home again, home again, jiggety jig

It's always wonderful getting time away to write, and it's equally wonderful to come home to November Hill at the end of it.

I brought a bag of apples and carrots for horses, pony, and donkeys, and one very ripe pear, so I bought my way back into the good graces of the herd. I have to say though, like always, Keil Bay turned his rear to me when I first came out to the barn. I think this is the longest I've ever been away since he came to live with me 10 years ago.

Unfortunately the afternoon was too busy to get in a ride, but next morning, in spite of gusting wind and cold I decided that I had to be back to our schedule. Dear daughter tacked up Cody and we rode together. Both Rafer and Redford climbed into the arena through the fence and joined us - Redford lay down on top of X and took a few rolls before watching, then the two marched side by side behind us.

Sometimes the best rides come after a break - this one was especially sweet.


4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's always good to be home again. I hope Keil Bay has forgiven you by now. Your ride sounds like loads of fun with good company.

billie said...

A, he is a forgiving soul, but seems to need to show his displeasure when I first return home. He does this every single time I go away.

Matthew said...

We're all very glad to have you home!

Victoria Cummings said...

Silk lets me know that she's not happy after I've been away too. This last trip, she had a very upset tummy when I got back which was pretty scary for a couple of days. At least Keil Bay didn't try that one! Sounds like everyone is glad that you're home again.