Monday, August 06, 2012

RIP Keats Meow

Last weekend we lost our lovely black cat Keats to a very unexpected and quick illness.  We are still in shock and still reeling from how things went downhill for her so very quickly. We took her sister in for complete bloodwork to make sure we are not dealing with something genetic, and so far, so good for Muffine Eloise.

It has been a rough season for us here and also for many of my readers. I feel like all of us deserve nothing but good news and easy living for the rest of 2012, at the very least.

Goodbye sweet Keats. I am still seeing her all over the place, out of the corner of my eye. She is buried beside Chase, our Corgi boy, in the back yard right by our back door, underneath the butterfly bush which was a favorite spot for her.

On other fronts, I left on Tuesday for a writing retreat, had some online privacy concerns, and am still trying to sort out how to maintain an online presence that feels right to me - over the weekend I set the blogs so that only I could read them - that was the only way I could figure out to quickly secure them without deleting anything. The result was that it looked like I had gone to membership only, and I know many of you felt I had left you out - I got many emails asking to be added to the list.

Well, right now there IS no list - and I am working on streamlining my online sites so there is ONE place to find me online. It might be that I do end up with a private blog and will announce that if I decide to go that route.

Meanwhile I came home yesterday to find Cody covered in hives - I think due to some fire ant bites that sent his system into overdrive. So am busy sorting that out with him.

Bear with me as I figure out these online issues. Will make sure that those who want to can stay in touch one way or another. You can always email me using the contact button either here, or at November Hill Press.

Thanks, all...

10 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Keats Meow.
It's never easy to lose our friends, especially when the onset of illness is so quick. On the other hand if it was her time to leave you at least she didn't suffer through a long illness. So sorry again and sending you well wishes for an uneventful rest of the summer.

jme said...

i'm so sorry to hear about keats meow. it has been a rough season, and you'll be in my thoughts.

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Habitually expecting to see our companions in their favorite spots is the hardest part of their loss to get over...

My dear Q had a severe hive reaction to an insect bite recently - per my vet it is totally safe to give Benedryl.

Q will actually be on Benedryl from here on out daily for her allergies to avoid any steroid shots. It seems to be working very well so far.

I'm sorry to hear you've had internet issues in addition to everything else billie. I hope your retreat gave you some perspective and peace of mind. My email box is always open... ;D

billie said...

Thanks, Arlene,jme, and C...

WRT the Benadryl - I gave Cody 3 doses of Apis which initially seemed to help a bit, but at bedtime I decided to dose him with Benadryl. This didn't do much for him, if anything, but it was worth a shot.

This morning it became clearer to me that the "hives" are probably mostly some kind of bite - there are many more on one side than the other, there are more on his legs than anywhere else now, and many of them are forming little points that look like what fire ant bites do when I get them.

I did find one active mound near the gate to the back field and today found another hidden mound under a pole that is lying along the fence line between paddock and arena.I've treated both with DE and will do that until they are eradicated.

I gave him more Apis today as he seemed to respond best to that. He is not nearly as itchy as he was yesterday - but we did a cool hosing all over this morning and then used a diluted vinegar rinse which he seemed to like.

Officially ready for fall now!!

Dougie Donk said...

So sorry to hear about Keats - I never have the right words, but feel sure she was happy to have had you as her slave for a while.

Thanks for the explanation on access. Sure you will work it out, but for now, here's to a peaceful Autumn.

Victoria Cummings said...

So sorry about Keats. She reminded me of our sweet BK. I love the black kitties the most. I think you're right about enough already , let's move on to autumn! I hope Cody is feeling better.

Máire said...

I am very sorry to hear about Keats. A sad time. Animals touch us at such a deep level.

billie said...

Thanks, D - exactly the right words!

billie said...

V, thank you - yes, fall is my light at the end of this summer's tunnel...

billie said...

Maire, thank you. I know you are in the midst of your own sad time. Breathing deep and thinking of Rosie and Keats both.