Sunday, December 26, 2010

snow day!

No need to take any photos - the blog itself is exactly what it looks like here right now. We woke up to 5 inches and it is still snowing - gorgeous landscape but of course we know what it means to horse folk: extra mucking, a week of mush and mud, and sometimes, a few grumpy equines.

Inside the house I am grateful for the two LL Bean Waterhog door mats I finally got - should have gone ahead and gotten 2 more for the laundry room!

Corgis are bringing in balls of snow on their bellies every time they go in and out. Mystic is outside in bliss - he is one snow-loving feline.

And the power is off and on, so I'm going to go ahead and hit send before it catches me.

Will close with one of my favorite poems from childhood - which reminds me what I wanted so much way back then, and now have, and thus I can end on a grateful note:

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

6 comments:

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Looks like you got the snow and sadly, we didn't. Even though it tends to make life difficult, our landscape is stunning when we do get the rare snowfall.

Be careful, enjoy, and thanks for the poem :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Love that poem too! Our snow just started and we're supposed to be in for at least 10 possibly 17 inches and high winds. As always very pretty but lots of work and miles to go before I sleep...

billie said...

C, none at all? I keep looking online trying to find an actual up to date breakdown of who got what where here, but am just getting info in dribs and drabs.

I'm guessing daughter's lesson is canceled for tomorrow since it looks like the Sandhills got a big pile too.

billie said...

Arlene, I had no idea when I was young and desperately wanted woods and horses and snow what that last line might mean. Now I do. :)

Stay warm and safe, and good thoughts for all your equines, who I know will be as warm and dry as they want to be.

Matthew said...

Laura Briggs on my work team in New Jersey says they got TWO FEET from the storm.

Even for me, that would be too much!

billie said...

Two feet - too much for me.