Monday, February 27, 2017

Porch steps, complete! And a break from the to-do list, also complete!



Two coats of French Gray milk paint on the front steps, check, last weekend. They need a few weeks to cure and then I'll put a final coating of tung oil on for good measure. 

I had to close my eyes to the porch step rails for now. Until I get the wild muscadine, honeysuckle, trumpet vine, and holly bushes cut back (all the way back in the case of the vines), there is no point in working on porch rails or the trellis that borders the bottom of the porch. 

I need a heavy duty hedge trimmer and some digging muscle for the work under the porch, which is where all those vines are rooted. This chore is such a dreaded one it isn't even officially written on the list!

Today's post serves as a reminder to me that the to-do list is there because it needs to be, as an organizational tool, but Life and Family is the Main Event and it's not made up of checking things off the to-do list.

This weekend we had a wonderful time with my mom who stayed with us three nights. We ate and watched season 1 of Parenthood and went to my favorite restaurant Ashten's for an early birthday dinner. I tried on new riding helmets and have to go back to make the final pick (my head got so sensitized I couldn't really figure out which of the final two fit the best). We had a fabulous weekend in which no chores from my master to-do list got done and THAT IS OKAY! In fact, it's necessary. The chores, like the vines, would take over if allowed. 

If you, like me, are often driven by your to-do list, kick it to the curb for a long weekend and enjoy time with your family. It's time you won't regret. The chores will be there waiting when you get back to the list. 


4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

The steps look great! I agree that you shouldn't let a to do list rule your life. If all you did was work endlessly to get everything checked off life will pass you by quickly and you'll miss a lot of good things that are important.

billie said...

A,, thanks for the support - I need a 12-step program for Trying To Do Too Much. :)

Matthew said...

Love this :)

billie said...

LOL - I am sure you do!